The liberal political action group MoveOn.org has endorsed Democratic nominee James T. Golden in his challenge of U.S. Rep. Vern Buchanan, R-Sarasota, according to a release from Golden's campaign.
“I wish thank the members of MoveOn residing in the 13th Congressional District for recommending the endorsement of my candidacy, and I thank MoveOn.org for accepting the recommendation," Golden said in the statement. "I have already pledged through MoveOn to support campaign finance reform and to oppose cutting Social Security benefits. I am proud of this endorsement, and I will be appreciative of MoveOn.org's continued support and will certainly continue to consider their positions."
Golden, a Bradenton minister and attorney, is a former member of the Bradenton City Council.
Meanwhile, Golden starting today will be holding a series of "community conservations" in the district that he said will "demonstrate his commitment to engaging all of the people."
The schedule is:
• Monday, Sept. 27 from 1 to 3 p.m. at Fruitville Library, 100 Coburn Road, Sarasota.
• Monday, Oct. 4 from 6 to 8 p.m. in conjunction with Manatee County Medical Society's Candidate Forum at the Dolphin Aviation Center in Sarasota.
• Tuesday, Oct. 5 at 7 p.m. in Arcadia (location TBD).
• Friday, Oct. 8 from 1 to 3 p.m. at the Gulf Gate Library, 7112 Curtiss Ave., Sarasota.
• Tuesday, Oct. 12 at 7 p.m. in conjunction with the Hardee County Builders Association's Candidate Forum in Wachula (location TBD).